Refreshing Heat-Beating Drinks
Cool down with these refreshing summer drink recipes. Whether you are preparing for a crowd, your family, or even just for yourself, these drink ideas are sure to please.
Summer Drink Recipe No. 1: Pink Lemonade Slushie
This Pink Lemonade Slushie is a hit with kids and adults alike. The bonus for this recipe is the ease of it -- just two ingredients and a blender!
Pink lemonade (homemade or store-bought)
1. Add lemonade and ice to a blender and blend to desired consistency.
2. Pour into cups and serve immediately.
Summer Drink Recipe No. 2: Radish, Basil and Lemon Infused Water
Infused water is a great way to put a new spin on boring old H2O. This combination of radish, basil and lemon is surprisingly refreshing! Radishes aid in digestion, lemons are packed with minerals and antioxidants, and basil adds a subtle sweetness to this water. Don’t be fooled by the earthy smell of the sliced radishes -- this cooling beverage will surprise even the pickiest of taste buds.
Handful of basil
1 lemon, sliced thinly
3 radishes, sliced thinly
1. Wash lemon and radishes, then slice thinly. While not necessary, a mandolin comes in handy for getting radishes paper-thin.
2. Add the lemon slices, radishes and basil to a large pitcher and fill with water.
3. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. May be served over ice.
Summer Drink Recipe No. 3: Grapefruit and Ginger Spritzer
This spritzer is perfect for parties. It can be made well in advance and is a great alternative to sodas. The honey simple syrup pairs well with the tartness of the grapefruit.
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
2 cups of water
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons water
4 to 5 cups ginger ale
12 ounces frozen grapefruit concentrate
1. To make ginger water: Bring 2 cups of water and ginger to a boil in a small saucepan. When boiling, remove from heat, put a lid on it, and let it steep for 20 minutes. When finished, strain liquid, keeping water and discarding ginger.
2. To make honey simple syrup: Add equal parts honey to hot water. Stir until combined, then refrigerate.
3. Add the frozen grapefruit concentrate, ginger water and ginger ale to a pitcher and stir until combined. Sweeten to taste with the honey simple syrup. Serve over ice.
Summer Drink Recipe No. 4: Blueberry Lemonade Breeze
This cocktail is summer in a glass. Lemonade is kicked up for adults with flavored vodka. Making this drink in a cocktail shaker ensures it will be extra cold and extra refreshing, even on the hottest days. Want to make it non-alcoholic? Add blueberry concentrate instead of vodka.
Blueberry-flavored vodka (preferred brand is Stolichnaya)
Simple syrup (water and sugar, recipe below)
Mint for garnish
1. To make simple syrup: In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved. Let cool and transfer to a jar or a squeeze bottle. Refrigerate.
2. Add 2.5 ounces of blueberry vodka to a cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice. Pour in 1 cup of lemonade, a squeeze of simple syrup, and a few mint leaves. Shake for 10 seconds and strain into a chilled glass.